My colleague and friend, Danielle Podesta, MS, RD recently shared a family recipe for Italian Rum Cake. I love bundt cakes, so immediately gathered the ingredients to bake. Wow, it was so easy! The cake was moist with the delicate flavor of rum. The crushed walnuts put in at the bottom of the pan turned into a crisp, crunchy streusel when the cake was inverted. Best of all, the cake got better as each day passed. That last piece on the 3rd day was just as moist as the first, but the flavors mellowed and the cake literally melted in your mouth. This is a great "coffee" cake or spectacular dessert.
Try it this holiday season. It will become a staple.
Italian Rum Cake
Recipe from Danielle Podesta of Danamark
"The Best!" "A tradition!" "Just cannot get enough of!"
- 2 cups walnuts, chopped
- 1 package yellow cake mix
- 1 small package vanilla pudding
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup light rum, divided
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sprinkle chopped walnuts onto bottom of well greased bundt cake pan.
- Combine cake mix, dry pudding mix, eggs, 2 cups water, oil and 1/4 cup rum in medium bowl. Mix together and pour on top of walnuts in bundt pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes.
- Prepare glaze by combining butter, sugar and 1/4 cup water in small sauce pan. Bring to boil, add remaining rum and stir.
- As soon as cake is pulled from oven, leave in pan and poke holes in top with toothpick, pour hot glaze onto cake. Let sit for a hour. Invert.
Cake will improve next day if it lasts.......